While it is important to get your cars insured at the earliest to avoid any unsavoury incidents, it is equally crucial for you to know how to claim insurance for cars. This will help you carry out the insurance claim process in an easy and hassle-free manner with little to no delays on your part. This guide can help you understand just what you would need to do to lodge an insurance claim for your car. So, without any further ado, let’s begin.
Table of Contents
How to Claim Insurance for Cars in Case of Own Damages?
Here’s what you would have to do to initiate an insurance claim in the case of your own damage to your car as a result of an accident.
- Intimating your insurance service provider of the damage to your car should always be the first step of the claim initiation process. Make sure to do it as soon as possible since delays on your part can hamper the claim process.
- Once you’ve informed your insurer, take your car to the nearest garage.
- Fill the claim application form. You will have to specify details of the policy, the nature of damage to your vehicle, and disclose your personal details.
- Submit the filled claim application form along with the required documents at a branch of your insurance service provider that’s nearest to you.
- The insurer will assign a surveyor to assess the damage. The surveyor would then prepare a report, which will be sent to you and the insurer.
- Based on the report, and the bills submitted by you, the insurer would then settle the claim depending on the type of claim applicable to you – cashless or reimbursement.
How to Claim Insurance for Cars in Case of Third-Party Damages?
In the case of damage to a third party as a result of an accident involving your vehicle, here’s what needs to be done.
- Firstly, inform your insurer of the damage caused to the third party by you.
- The affected party would have to send a legal notice seeking settlement for the damages caused by you.
- You would then have to submit the legal notice to your insurance service provider, along with a copy of your car’s Registration Certificate, driving license, and First Information Report of the incident.
- Once you’ve submitted all the documents and raised the request with your insurer, you will be appointed a lawyer to help you with the case.
- Based on the verdict of the court, the insurer will make the settlement accordingly.
How to Claim Insurance for Cars That Have Been Stolen?
If you find that your car has been stolen, here’s the process that you would have to follow to claim insurance.
- File a complaint at a police station nearest to you as soon as possible. Also, ensure to get a copy of the First Information Report (FIR).
- Fill the claim application form and submit the same with your insurance service provider along with a copy of the FIR.
- Also submit the final investigation report as and when you receive it from the police authorities.
- Upon submission of the same, an investigator will be assigned.
- Once the investigator approves the claim request, submit the Registration Certificate (RC) of your stolen vehicle along with any duplicate keys that you may have, a subrogation letter, and a letter of indemnity duly notarized.
- After submission of all the above documents, the insurer will assess your claim and settle the same if satisfied.
Although filing for an insurance claim may seem like a daunting task, it is in fact very easy and doesn’t take much time. If you need more information on how to claim insurance for cars, you can find it on Finserv MARKETS.
That’s not all. Finserv MARKETS offers so much more than just information. For instance, you can use our car insurance calculator to know just how much premium you would have to pay for your four-wheeler insurance policy. Or, you can browse through our selection of insurance and other financial products, compare and contrast multiple policies, and apply for loans.